Cactus Flowers in Mesa Arizona

What do Santa Claus and cactus flowers have in common?

They are both recently featured on USPS Forever stamps.  The Santa stamps were issued in October 2018 and the cactus flower stamps were issued in February 2019.


As I mentioned in Sparkling Holidays Coca-Cola Bottling Cachet, I created my first day cover with the Santa stamp.  This weekend, I brought one of the bottling cachets to Mesa, Arizona to make it a double with the official first day of issue cancellations for both the sparkling holiday and cactus flower stamps.  My first dual-cancelled first day cachet.

The first day of issue ceremony for the cactus stamps was held on February 15, 2019 at the Mesa Convention Center, in conjunction with the AmeriStamp Expo (ASE), which was by the way the last winter convention of the American Philatelic Society (APS).

Just as I have created the Sparkling Holiday cachet to celebrate my 25th year of collecting Coca-Cola in 2019, I came to Mesa to receive my 25-Year APS Member pin during the convention general meeting.  It was great to see so many philatelists including: Dr. Cheryl Ganz, former chief curator at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum and current APS Board Vice President; Kristin Patterson, American Philatelic Research Library (APRL) Trustee, and chair of PENPEX stamp show; and Trish Kaufmann, former President of Confederate Stamp Alliance (CSA) and current APS Board Vice President and 50-year APS member!



P.S. Now that I have reached my 25-Year APS milestone, I look forward to the next milestone - 50-Year medallion.

No comments:

Post a Comment